esafety is about being a safe user of technology such as the Internet, email and social media sites.
The Internet has become part of most people’s everyday lives. It is now easier to access than ever before, and brings tremendous benefits for education, communication and innovation.
We have to accept that using the Internet can also be risky.
These dangers can include:
- viewing unsuitable content e.g. hate material, adult content, sites that endorse unhealthy behaviour such as anorexia
- giving out personal information
- arranging to meet an online 'friend'
- becoming involved in, or the victim of, bullying, identity theft, or making and sending indecent or illegal images
- spending too much time online which can effect concentration, education, sleep and health
- Copying information from the Internet or buying work from other people to use as their own.