Labour Market Information (LMI)
What is labour market information?
It is information relating to career occupations and industries, such as job numbers and salaries. It can also include a range of more specific details, such as educational levels for occupations, workforce demographics and employment patterns locally and/or nationally.
Why is labour market information important in careers education?
High quality, reliable and robust labour market information is vital to offering effective career practice as it helps:
- navigate complex labour markets
- identify a pathway to goals and ambitions
- inform career decision making
- our understanding of a changing labour market
Why is it useful for students/staff/parents and carers to engage with local labour market information?
It is useful to find the answers to questions such as:
- How many jobs are there? How many in my area? What are the past trends? What are likely future trends?
- How much do people get paid for this job? How much at the start of their career? How much in my area?
- What level of qualification do people have in this jobs and what am I likely to need?
- How many vacancies are there for this job? What proportion of people in this occupation are currently out of work?
For an overview of Greater Manchester labour market information please click here